Operation InternOperation Intern: Developing North Dakota's Workforce
Forms and Requirements
- W9 Form (Download)
- Student Enrollment Form (Download)
- Learning Agreement (Download)
- Program Guidelines* (Download)
- Request for Funds Form** (Download)
*Commerce recommends employers complete the provided Learning Agreement if the student is not taking academic credit. However, this form is not required and does not need to be sent to the Department of Commerce. It is only encouraged.
**Note that reimbursement is provided after the work has been completed and can be requested monthly, quarterly or at the end of the internship, work experience or apprenticeship.
As part of the Operation Intern program, Commerce requires employers:
- sign and retain one original copy of Letter of Agreement,
- sign and return to Commerce within two weeks of intern start date:
- one original copy of Letter of Agreement,
- W9-Form, and
- Student Enrollment Form.
- verify and maintain records that the student is enrolled in a North Dakota college or university, a high school junior or senior in a skilled trade or technology position, or enrolled in a registered apprenticeship program, and
- maintain documentation of wages paid and/or other compensation provided and made available to Commerce upon request.
20% of participating businesses are reviewed annually for fiscal and student verification. If a business is selected, documentation of expenses and verification of student enrollment must be provided
The employer is responsible for selecting and hiring the new student. Businesses are invited to post open internship/work experience/apprenticeship opportunities using any or all of the following:
OperationIntern.com – choose to post your job on our website when filling out the Operation Intern program application.
TeamND.org – TeamND is a free website that provides a single point of entry to allow employers with internship or work experience opportunities to connect with students seeking these opportunities.
FindJobsND.com – Register with Job Service ND and access online job services. Make sure to include the keyword “Intern” in the position title and add student eligibility requirements in the job description.
Participating Employers – view a list of the current Operation Intern Participating Employers.
If the above options do not deliver a good match for your position, contact a college or high school career counselor in your region.